It’s FriYAY and I can’t tell you how much I need it. It’s been the busiest of busy weeks and I am so ready for a chilled out weekend. I feel like it’s been forever since I’ve had one (and my to do list, which practically reaches the floor, says the same).
It’s been a while since my last happy news post and they do seem to be your favourites so I thought it was about time for another one. It’s funny, since starting this regular feature, I’ve been spotting happy news creeping into the newspapers and the news. We think there’s nothing positive at all there but if you look a little deeper, there is usually something to make you smile. Keep looking out for it, but if you need a little roundup then you’ve definitely come to the right place.
- A travel agent surprised all her employees by rewarding them with a three day holiday to Barbados. Imagine this, you think you’re celebrating your company’s tenth anniversary with a day out to Flamingo Land in Yorkshire, and you end up on a trip with your 32 workmates to the Caribbean. The manager Helen Bilton is clearly a legend. a
- This story shows we’re still making progress. Barbie is now available to children everywhere in every shape and size imaginable. Mattel has made the new barbies in short, tall, curvy, petite. The toy has been a favourite since 1959 but it’s long been criticised for unrealistic body image – famously that if Barbie was real world proportions she would simply snap. Barbie now has jobs including an astronaut, doctor and businesswoman too. a
- The internet loved this one and I do too, Adele let her son dress up as Anna from Frozen on a recent trip to Disneyland. Her 3-year-old son Angelo was snapped in the famous blue and black dress, after he apparently told his Mum she was his favourite character. To be honest, just the thought of Adele exploring the theme park with her little one makes me smile! j
- A British backpacker stumbled upon some lost wedding photos and made it her mission to return them. Australian Lloyd Jones, 89, was devastated when he accidentally gave away his wedding album, giving a cabinet to a charity shop when he moved to a retirement home. But Holly Edwards recovered them from the shop, posted them on Facebook and made sure to get them home. How cute! a
- It’s been said he celebrated his BAFTA wins a few ways but this is by far my favourite. Leonardo DiCaprio enjoyed his time in the UK by taking his mum on a sightseeing tour round London. Disguised in a padded jacket, he took his number one woman round the British Museum and the Science Museum.
And finally, one of my faves Elton John donated a piano to St Pancras station in London this week. To kick it off, he broke out into a spontaneous performance for commuters…